Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Faith of a Child

This past Sunday in Sunday school Amariah sat in the front for story time and was very attentive. He learned about the lady who touched Jesus and then was all better.  He coloured a picture showing a lady touching Jesus. After colouring his picture he tried to recite the story back to me. It was really cute. Then after class he told Daddy about the story and was very proud of himself. At home we put the picture on the fridge and talked about it at dinner. I was so proud of him for showing such interest in the story. 

Last night after showering Amariah, he was being his squirmy self while I was trying to dry him off. During a fight with the towel he had lost his balance and fell on to his bum. It wasn't a hard fall, however, on the way down his chin hit my knee causing him to bite his own lip. I was sitting on a small stool allowing my knee to be in the perfect position for a collision. Amariah started to cry right away. I felt so bad. Scooping him up to cradel him in my arms I noticed that his bottom lip was bleeding. I quickly grabbed a clean cloth, dampened it with water and put it on his lip. He was grateful and took comfort in biting down on the cloth. 
I took him to the bedroom and put on his pajamas. I took the cloth from him to dampen it again. The lip hadn't bled that much, so there was hardly any blood on the cloth, which I was thankful for. But his lip was definitely swelling on the right hand side. I thought a cool cloth may offer more comfort to the sore lip. 

Returning with the cool cloth, I said, "Buddy, do you want this?" And he replied, "No, touch Jesus, all better." Then he continued playing with his stuffed whale as if nothing had happened. I pressed a little further, why, I don't know, "Are you sure you don't want the cloth for your lip." He answered with a tone that told me I was being foolish for asking, "No, I touch Jesus, all better." I put the cloth away and haven't heard another word about the lip since. 

The faith of a child. I sat and pondered that while watching him play with his whale. I had a moment when I started to realize that I have absolutely no idea the vast amout of things the Lord will teach me through my children. The thought is almost overwhelming, yet totally exciting at the same time. 



No comments:

Post a Comment