Sunday, April 5, 2009

Unintentional Barganing and a White Boy Show











I thought that I would share a bit of what it is like to go shopping in town. Not all shopping places are as crowded, but we do draw alot of attention where ever we go. Here is a shopping street just north of the Peaceful Market. We have visited this particular shopping street twice, but for this story I will just combined the experience so that it will read like it is one day. 
On this street you will not see any cars, just lots of people, and lots of shops lining both sides of the street. Walking out of the Peaceful Market was an experience in itself. The Market was more relaxed, out doors, dirty, poor and was built within a series of back street allies. People in the Market loved to watch us and many would comment on how beautiful Amariah was, but no body pulled out their cameras to take pictures, no one insisted on picking him up and no one tried to stroke our bare arms. 
Leaving the Market we entered what we will describe as chaos. The slow relaxed pace was left behind and we found ourselves fighting the crowds just to keep moving forward. This street defines the word 'busy.' It is also richer and is full of brand name shops. Amariah fought to be put down, and fortunately we had a harness that we could put on him so that we wouldn't lose him in the crowd. 
At first it felt as though all eyes were on us, which isn't anything new, almost everywhere we go is like that. As we past once shop that had loud music playing Amariah stopped and started to dance to the music. Next thing we knew we were completely surrounded by people who were taking pictures of our dancing son. When Amariah was done dancing we continued to fight the crowds to make our way forward. The crowd followed, cameras too. One brave girl stepped out of the crowd and knelt next to Amariah for a pic. I scooped Amariah up and became more aggressive in getting through the crowd. This was getting really annoying. Soon the crowd got the idea that the show was over and people started going off in their own directions. 
We finally came to the centre square of the Shopping Street. The first time on this street we became a bit thirsty and decided to get some drinks. While Patrick was paying for some drinks a girl came up to Amariah and started moving her drink toward Amariah's mouth offering him some. I immediately intervened and said no thank-you. 
The second time we visited we decided to get some ice cream, it had such an interesting presentation we wanted to try some. After finishing our ice cream we visited some of the shops. I found 2 shirts that I liked but since we weren't planning on spending we didn't bring alot of money. Chinese people are very determined salesmen. The saleswoman saw that I showed interest in these shirts and the fight for a sale was on. I tried on the shirts, and she flattered me up down saying how beautiful I looked in them. Maybe I should have just bought her to tell me I am beautiful every morning after I get dress, but I didn't think of that then. I took the shirts off, and even though I was interested in them without her salespitch, I simply didn't have the money. Together those shirts would have cost me RMB 135, we had only RMB 100. I thanked her for her help, but said that I didn't have enough money for them. She wasn't going to let that be an excuse for not making a sale, "RMB 120," she offered. I wasn't planning on bartering, I really wasn't there to spend money, so I decided that I didn't even want to play the bartering game. I said thank-you but no, and turned to leave. "RMB 110!!" She offered determined to make this sale. I said, "No thank-you." She asked why and I told her I didn't have the money. She asked how much I had. "All I have is RMB 100." She looked disappointed. I again turned to leave and she said, "Ok, Ok, RMB 100." I was surprised that she was so determined. I wasn't even trying to get a good deal. I really didn't care. I once again replied, "Thank-you but I can't. Your shirts are beautiful and I will come back to shop when I have more money. If I give you all I have now I won't have enough for the bus to get home. I will come back another day." I meant what I said. The shirts in that store were beautiful, they were imported from Thailand, and they looked very Hippish, which I love, and I had full intentions of coming back.  Either she didn't believe me or she just really needed a sale, but she lowered her head and then offered in a quieter voice, I don't know if it was because she was desparate or reluctant, but she offered "RMB 90, then you have RMB 10 for the bus." I looked up at Patrick and he said, "If you want them that's fine, it's a good deal." So, I bought the 2 shirts. She was happy for the sale and I was very happy about my 2 shirts. I think that would be about $15 Canadian, but don't quote me, I am not good at the conversion thing. 
After purchasing the shirts we headed home. 





3 comments:

  1. It's so strange to think that you stand out because of skin color, but then looking at the photos I realized it's also hair color :)

    What flavor are your ice creams?

    ReplyDelete
  2. one was chocolate and vanilla swirl and the other was mango.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kari, I tagged in you in a meme that is trying to get moms from around the world (Around the World in 80 Clicks) to write five things they love about being a mom. I'd love it if you participated, but certainly understand if you're not interested.

    I've really loved reading about your family's adventures in China and I'm so happy that God is so near and dear to you, providing for your every need.

    Blessings,
    Jen (Braam) Wilson

    ReplyDelete