Wednesday, July 21, 2010

A Typhoon Experience

The weather today is a little gray. I think that we may have another storm rolling in. It apparently is Typhoon season. We, to my knowledge, have only experience 2 here this year so far. The lastest one was last week, and here's the story:

Since it was pay day we decided to go out to eat, to this Chinese style "Western" food restaurant. I had spaghetti, which was pretty good, but not like home, and Amariah and Patrick had china's version of pizza, which isn't that great when you know what the real thing tastes like. And we also ordered fries for an appy. After we made our order, Patrick was said, "I bet we get the appy last and all of our meals come at different times." We like to guess when our meals come, becasue here in China it is like they cook one meal at a time and bring them out as they are done. We have learned to set aside our North American restaurant manners and to eat your food when you get it, otherwise if you wait until everyone is served, whoever was served first will be eating a cold meal. So, my speghetti came first. I like to wait a few minutes to see, if by chance, the other meals follow directly after. While waiting my few moments I noticed that another man in the restaurant also just got served his spaghetti. "I bet they had two orders of spaghetti, at the same time and that is why mine is done first," I though to myself. 
During this time we noticed that it was getting really dark outside, really fast. Flashes of lightening and the sounds of thunder soon followed. I had thought that I heard thunder earlier and wondered if a storm was rolling in. My suspicion was proving to be correct. 
I began to eat my meal when Amariah announced that he had to use the toilet. A facility that is not commonly provided in restaurants here. Patrick new of a public toilet that was not that far of a walk away, so out into the stormy weather they went. It hadn't started to rain yet, but the wind was strong, and the thunder loud. The restaurant workers were busy pulling in the tables they had set out side. It always amazes me how fast the storms roll in here. It starts of with seeing some black coulds, hearing a little thunder, seeing the wind pick up and then BAM torrential downpour. I was praying that Patrick and Amariah were back before the downpour started. (Our appetizer of fries arrived). Just when the rain started, that was when Patrick and Amariah entered the restaurant again. Amariah shared that he only got "alittle bit wet." I was glad. Patrick said that Amariah was scared of the thunder while they were outside, but he was a strongman and got through it. 
By this time it was raining so hard we could hardly see out the restaurant window. "Well, I guess we are hanging out in here for awhile."  The boys started chowing down on fries as I finished my spaghetti. The personal pizzas soon followed.  Patrick started to pick all the ham off of his (Chinese processed ham- disgusting) and Amariah dipped his in ketchup. What can I say, it's different here. 
As I looked at the fries sitting there as the boys ate theor meal, I was once again reminded that even after nine month of being here, I can't shake all of my North American habits. What was the point of ordering an appy? It's China, we knew it wasn't going to come before the meal. 
After about 20 minutes the rain let up to a drizzle and we were able to walk home. 

Prayer Requests: We have applied for Eternity's Canadian passport, which we were told to apply for it 2 weeks before exiting the country, which is what we did. Our visas run out August 4th and we are having to go to Hong Kong to Renew them. Please pray that her passort comes in time for us to get an exiting visa for he so that we can all go to HK. I know that our Father will take care of everything, please agreeinig with us in prayer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment