Friday, February 19, 2010

My Hospital Visit

I went to the hospital for my weekly prenatal check-up. I think that it was colder inside the hospital than it was out side. I stayed fully clothed in my touque, scarf, jacket and mittens, except for each test. I had to shed layers for my blood test, then put the layers back on, then shed layers for the ultrasound, then put them back on, then shed the layers for the baby movement test, then put them back on, then shed the layers for the measuring of the belly and put them back on. It was quite the work out. 

I have had some questions about the Chinese hospitals, "What are they like?" They are much like home, only more efficient. At home you would usually upon arrival check in at the front desk and then sit down until they call you. Here, there is a front desk, but I rarely see anyone there. You just go straight to the nurses room, walk in, hand them your hospital card, then you stand on the scale for your weight ( I am 70 kg, so much lighter than I was with Amariah), then they take your blood pressure and send you on to the doctor. Some times there is a bit of a wait, but not long if there is one. The doctor checks you out, and for yesterday I needed to get a routine ultrasound and movement scan (these are new to me, I never did this for Amariah) so I first went to the ultrasound room. Waited not too long, got the measurements of the babies head, then I was sent to the movement scan room, where I was seated with a belt around me monitoring the babies movements for about half and hour. When that was done I went straight to another doctor, no waiting at all, just walked into her office, gave her the results for the tests I just did. She looked them over, told me everything was normal, asked me to return next week and I was on my way home. The system definiately works more efficiently. Every time I need to get a test of some kind I am sent to a different room, where I give them my hospital card and I assume all the information for what I need is on there from the last person, because they always know what to do and get it done right away. I think it is more efficient, from my hospital experiences in Canada, because they have so many more workers. For example, they have one person who takes blood. All their job is that day is to sit in this room and take blood. They don't do anything else. So, when the patient comes, they get in right away, get their bllod taken and leave, no waiting. And the person doing the ultrasound or the movement scan, that is their only job for that day, so that is all they have to concentrate on. Just getting that job done. And there seems to be different room for each job. It works quite well. And it always seems to be the same nurse that sits that is sitting there waiting to take weight and blood pressure. I haven't seen her do anything else. In Canada it always seems like there are few people doing all the work. 

Usually I get only women nurses and doctors, which is so nice. They are usually friendly, understanding and sensitive. Today I had my first male. He did the ultrasound, and I don't think this guy cracked a smile. He certainly wasn't up for any conversation and ignored all my questions. I wasn't happy. If I am paying money for something, I really do want a good service. 

So, from now until the baby comes, I will be going once a week for weight check-ups, blood pressure, and movements scans. Two-weeks and 4 days left until the due date. So exciting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment