Friday, January 29, 2010

Friday Night

Well, it is 4:45 in the morning and what else is there to do than to writ eto my blog. I actually have so many stories rolling around in my head to write, It is just finding the time to write them down without the distraction of tiny hands eager to help me type. Bless his heart though, so curious and so eager to do what mom and dad do, you know, be a big boy. 

Amariah update: This past week Amariah has been ill. High fever, bad cough, and unable to keep food down. With lots of prayer and keeping him home from school for the week, Amariah is doing much better and will be ready to return to school on Monday. As a mom, I absolutely hate it when he is sick. I just wish I could make it all go away. 
keeping with the Amariah subject, here's a question, "What would a 2 year old do if locked in an apartment all by himself for an hour?" Answer: binge on oero cookies, get naked and pee off the top bunk of the bed. To fill in the blanks, I was at work, and Patrick appartently went to take the garbage out and Amariah shut the door behind Patrick and locked it himself. Patrick, not having a cell phone or the keys and no luck trying to get Amariah to unlock the door, went to our neighbours, borrowed a phone, called a locksmith and waited for the door to be opened. An hour later when Patrick finally got inside he found Amariah sitting naked on the top bunk of the bed, and crying to be rescued, the poor boy. With also, a pakage of oreo cookie sitting on the table with several missing. Patrick figured he ate about 8 or more. And pee on the bedroom floor with splash markings that indicated that the pee came from the top of the bunk. Patrick, of course, didn't call me and tell me any of this until after it all happened, which I was very thankful for or else I may have been worried sick and not been able to work. You know, the normal mom thing to do and think about all the bad stuff that could happen. But since I wasn't told until after, I couldn't help but laugh and just PTL that everything was all good. Now I have a story to tuck away for future use. 

Patrick Update: Last night Patrick had his staff New Year's party. As many of you know, the big holiday here in China is Chinese New Year. It is treated similar to Christmas in that the school shut down for about three weeks and everyone gets a about a two week holiday. Many people go home to their families and decorations fill the homes, shops and streets. Decorations include red lanterns, mandarin orange trees, Lucky money envelops hanging from the trees, and various other places. Lucky money is a huge part of the celebration. There are these small red and gold envelopes and the idea is to put money in them, however much you choose, and you give them to friends and family, mainly to children. It is like the idea of gift giving at Christmas. They say that red is the colour of good luck and by giving people money in red envelopes you are wishing them a future of good finances. I think that it is pretty neat. 
Anyway, Patrick had there party last night, and it seriously was a waste of time. I don't think I will ever fully understand the Chinese. The had mounds of food served that went to waste because it was disgusting. When the Chinese people won't eat their own food, you know it really does taste bad. They had tons of beer, really loud, that the Chinese people had way too much of. The children of the staff just ran around and the whole thing was over before 8pm and it didn't start until closer to 7. It was really pathetic, yet seemed so Chinese at the same time, go cheap and don't plan. Incidently, right after the 'staff party' we went out to eat becasue we were hungry. 
We bought some of our favourite foods from our local gated community restaurants and took them home. I got my usual bean, beef and noodles, Amariah got his dumplings, and Patrick got a rice with potatos and peppers dish. We took the food home nestled on our red vynal couch and watched the Pixar movie, "Up." And that was our friday night. It was special becasue normally I work friday nights, but since our regular classes are over, I now have all evenings free. It is so nice. 

Well,  it is now 5:25 and I think I will go see if I can get some more sleep before I start another work day. 

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear Amariah and Patrick survived their lock out/in! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete