Friday, September 17, 2010

Enjoying Life


We have got our own apartment here now and loving it. We were supposed to move in on Thursday, but then the landlords called and asked if Friday was ok for a move in date because she couldn't schedule the carpet cleaners until Thursday, such a difference from China. In China we moved into a completely filthy place filled with our landlord's crap (old purse, kite, phone, chains, water dispenser, toys, etc.) and then here we moved into a professionally cleaned apartment. I mean, we couldn't find a speck of dust it was so clean. All this to say, we love our new home. 

Patrick still does not have the desired CNA job. He is working construction for his dad's company and will soon start working at a climbing wall. But he is still looking for a CNA job. 

Tonight we went to the Great Midwest Balloon Fest. It was so neat. About 20 balloons launched into the air, and then later when it was dark they had a balloon glow, which was really beautiful. Unfortunately, the loud count down and then all the fire scared Amariah, so we left. But we had already been there for a couple of hours and then he fell asleep on the way home, so I think that he will be ok, : )

One my favourite things about being back is the garage sales. Whoever said China was cheap obviously doesn't garage sale. I have been overly excited about the deals I have found. For example, I got this black leather bag for a dollar. I remember looking at one very similar to it in China, and was tempted to buy, but good thing I didn't because it was a whole lot more than 7 RMB. I laugh at myself though- it is such an odd American event, if you would call it an event, that we do. We can put all our unwanted stuff out on the front lawn and complete strangers will come by, give us money for it, and take it away. It is odd, but there is something about getting a 'good deal' that is addicting, and makes garage saling a justifiable hobby. It is also a great excuse to get to know an area when you first move into it- which is the category I have fallen into. 

Anyway, everyone else is sleeping and it is time I hit the hay too (right after I check on-line for tomorrows garage sales- I now have an apartment to furnish LOL). 

 

Kari

No comments:

Post a Comment