Thursday, May 20, 2010

A Cross Cultural Experience and Ministry

Recently, I went grocery shopping with the kids in the morning and on my way home a Chinese friend called and said that she was having a birthday party for her daughter and was wondering if I could come over right then. I was frazzled by the lack of noticed. Raced to a kids store, bought a gift and showed up at her apartment building, where she was waiting outside for us, with all my groceries. Besides a cousin, Amariah was the only other kid. So, it was significant that he was there. My friend had called me the week before and said, "Next weekend I will have a cake for my daughter, will you come?" I said, "Just let me know when and we will plan to be there." This is another story to show the cultural difference. Where we are from, "Just tell me when" implies that you give the person notice, and for a party, it is usually at least a day's notice, otherwise, we don't expect people to come. So, it was silly of me to think that the same expression would have the same implications here. My friend understood it as, "tell me the moment it is happening and I will come."

 

A prayer request, this same Chinese friend informed me, at the party, that she is thinking of divorcing her husband. Not having been there myself, and not being Chinese, I am not sure how to be there for her. But I know the G knows and will direct. 

Also, another Chinese person that Patrick has been talking with just lost their job and has no place to live. So, prayer about what we should do here as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment